Yay!!! The Arts Festival is finally here! Someone asked me why I love it so much and I guess it goes back to when I was 9 or 10. My mom took me to the Arts Fest when it was still held down by the Triad Center (we're talking pre-Energy Solutions building). I was just so taken in by all the different art, the food (!), listening to the music and I felt very grown up and worldly. I wasn't too old to have my face painted but I didn't want some animal whiskers crap-- I told the guy I want sunglasses painted on, but on one side pink flamingo-ish wings and on the other side black & white checkerboard. I wish I could find the picture of this artistic creation because I looked awesome!! It also helped that I was very 80s with an off one shoulder blue-striped blouse and a jean skirt. And hence the love affair began. I think the only times I've missed the fest is when I was living in Florida and on this weekend in June, I always felt like I was missing the call from the mother-ship. While I may have little to no artistic skill, I am always so in awe of what people can come up with from the depths of their imagination.
Thursday afternoon is like a hidden gem when it comes to how to "fest." You get in half price if you go before 3:00 and you have all the room in the world. You can talk with the artists, not have to wait in line for food or drinks and then you can scope out the coolest art to come back and look at later on in the weekend. Here's some pics from day (and night) one.
 |
| These planes were made from cola and beer cans. So creative, and from what I understand, pretty accurate. |
 |
| Lunch, Day 1: Greek Salad with Dolmathes and Pita bread, nom-nom |
So this is new this year, Yarn Bombing.There were pieces all over. I don't really understand it....but I like it.
 |
| Spinning in the wind |
|
 |
| I love that they have added this Urban Art portion to the Fest, can't wait to come back and see the finished product! |
 |
| My art purchase this year in honor of Delilah |
 |
| My friend Scott and his sister, Melissa in the background. It was the COOLEST 3-D art. | |
|
|
 |
| I love how they use all the buildings in Library Square as a canvas. |
 |
| I was happy to see the Young Dubliners, who rock. |
 |
| Irish Dancers!! Sorry for the blurry :P |
 |
| Dinner Night 1: Garlic Burger and delicious fries...which I am still feeling today! |
1 comment:
I went to the art fair yesterday too! SO fun!
Post a Comment