So I didn't think I was going to be as melancholy as I am today. I'm leaving a job as an HCA (aide) that I've had for five years for a new job as a RN. While I've been so excited for what adventures lie ahead of me, it's just been within the last few days that I've been thinking about everything that I'm leaving behind. This is the longest that I've ever had one job and I've really grown to love and respect my friends and coworkers.
Some of my favorite memories are of 2 East, the unit that once was. I remember talking to the baby fish in our fishtank, decorating for seemingly every holiday, Christine and I putting on a Christmas pageant for an antepartum patient who was feeling down, avoiding the practical jokes the CF boys tried to play on us, being excited to see what theme Somer would decorate her room in and making cookies in the toaster oven. It was so hard on the whole staff when we merged with the maternity unit. Many staff members left for other jobs and the ones who were left, we all felt like orphaned step-children. The last day of 2 East, I defaced University Hospital property for the first (and only) time by writing on the ceiling of the nursing station "Emily was here, 311 4 life."
In the two years since the merge, I've also grown to love many of the maternal-newborn staff and have made wonderful memories with them. I really feel like I wouldn't have made it through nursing school if my co-workers hadn't been so supportive of me. That is one truly amazing thing about nurses, is that we really take care of our own.
I wanted to do something for my co-workers to say goodbye and give them something to remember me by. So I folded oragami stars -- A LOT of oragami stars. On the inside I wrote quotes from songs, poems and anything else that I find inspiration from. That way, whenever they're feeling down and I wasn't there anymore to say something silly, they could open their star and smile.
So it's not goodbye, it's I'll see you later. Love you wonderful, amazing and caring women!!
2 comments:
I don't know why this made me cry! I am going to miss working with you even though I know you are still working in the hospital! You taught me everything I know and I couldn't have asked for a better mentor! The critical care people are so lucky to have you! They have no idea! I love you Emily! You are the best BFAW ever! =)
You deserve all he best...good luck Emily..love U
Liliana
Post a Comment