Tuesday, July 19, 2011

First day as a nurse....in the ER!


Ok, so I have to admit my long standing love affair with the tv show "ER." I think I possibly watched every episode. I loved the characters and the amazing and crazy stories they came up with. Even as the cast changed (I will always hold a place in my heart for Dr. Doug Ross & Nurse Carol Hathaway) I always tuned in to see what would happen next.
So you can imagine what theme music was playing in my head as I worked my first shift as a nurse and I was in the ED!! The Critical Care Internship includes a rotation in the ED and mine just happened to be my first rotation. Now, the U of U ED is a wholly different place than a fictional tv ER, but it was crazy just the same. EMS & LifeFlight crews were continually bringing patients into the trauma bays and it was like a finely choreographed ballet watching everyone work together. I just tried to keep my eyes and ears open, ask questions of my awesome fellow, Farrah, and by the end of the shift, I was caring for one patient on my own. Very exhilarating!! Back tonight for more fun.
Speaking of the internship, the first week consisted of ALOT of orientation (which means sitting and listening all day). But I did enjoy meeting the rest of my cohort and there are some really interesting people who moved from all over to be here. Georgetown, Dartmouth, Connecticut, Ogden :) and then little ol' Emily, Utah girl. I know this is going to be a great experience getting to know them as well as the fellows who will be training us.
Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you ment ER instead of ED. I love you Mama!!

Emilee said...

So incredibly excited for you!